We appreciate your interest in gender- and diversity conscious teaching at university.
On the following pages you will find introductory information, practical advice for your classroom, and suggestions for further reading.
We hope you find the reading interesting and the implementation rewarding!
You can choose to have subtitles displayed in the video.
The Toolbox is a resource for all lecturers and staff members involved in teaching of Freie Universität Berlin and is available for anyone else who is interested.
Developing gender- and diversity competence in teaching is part of a process. No matter your experience level with gender- and diversity-conscious teaching, you are sure to find new information and suggestions here. The Toolbox assists you with planning and designing classes and expanding your own gender and diversity competencies.
The Toolbox includes:
- An introductory video on gender and diversity in teaching,
- A starter kit with material on gender- and diversity-conscious language, on how to select and use imagery, and FAQs,
- Guidelines and handouts on developing gender and diversity skills,
- Recommendations for the methodological preparation for classes with an extensive methodpool (in German),
- Cross-disciplinary and discipline-specific suggestions for integrating gender and diversity research into your teaching and program content,
- A collection of resources including advisory services and continuing education programs (in German).
No background knowledge is required for using the Toolbox; all you will need is curiosity, an open mind, and a bit of time.
The central factor is always your attitude as a lecturer – there is no catch-all solution. You will need to adapt all the suggestions and practical examples to your own specific context. The goal is always to offer good teaching for all students.
To do so, communication and exchange with colleagues from your department and other disciplines – informally as well as in the context of further training and board meetings – is very helpful. Importantly, you also need the support from other university levels. If needs be, make a request jointly with other colleagues more support.
What is useful for you as a university teacher? How else could the Toolbox help you? Comments, ideas or criticism are welcome, so please contact us.
Would you like a quick overview, or do you have questions? Would you like to help us to make the Toolbox known throughout Freie Universität Berlin? If so, we offer in person short presentations of the Toolbox.
Are you looking to use the Toolbox jointly together with colleagues? Do you need to a frame in which to talk about the implementation of gender- and diversity conscious teaching in your department or institute? We offer short workshops tailored to your needs at Freie Universität Berlin.
Link to: Unabridged Keynote
(Film in German)
Link to: Unabridged Keynote